Vista West High School will prepare students to be:
Academic Achievers Who Will:
- Be educated using quarterly benchmarks that are aligned with the state frameworks
- Communicate effectively in writing, speaking and listening and demonstrate those skills through formal and informal assessment and class room work
- Improve grade level reading competence as measured by using the Renaissance Reading Testing Program
- Improve grade level math competence as demonstrated by the Renaissance Math Testing Program
Technologically Literate Individuals Who Will:
- Access and process information in a computer-based society
- Utilize available resources for research, assessment and skill remediation
Productive Workers and Learners Who Will:
- Demonstrate responsibility and development of sound judgment
- Develop a work ethic that promotes success
- Aspire to their highest potential in academic and inter-personal realms
Responsible Citizens Who Will:
- Demonstrate positive and ethical behavior by following all school rules and guidelines
- Be aware of and respect differences through participation in cooperative classroom activities
- Be provided the opportunity to contribute to the community through service, work-experience and volunteerism
Other Programs available to your student:
Regional Occupational Center/Program (ROC/P)
Vista West High School offers concurrent programs for 11th and 12th graders. Regional Occupational Program (ROP) provides high-quality preparation classes and services to prepare youth (16 years of age and older) and adults for successful careers in response to the local labor market. Work-bound and college-bound students are encouraged to enroll in this tuition free program. The Kern High School District Regional Occupational Center offers twenty courses, from Animal Care Technology to Welding. Students must have good attendance to be considered for enrollment.
Adult School Concurrent Enrollment
Students with credit deficiencies may choose to attend Adult School concurrent classes offered three days a week, 6-9 pm. English, Math Foundations, Algebra, Financial Literacy courses are regularly offered, in addition to a science and social studies course. The registration date will be announced and also posted at the school. Students must see their counselor for the registration form. A $30.00 book deposit is also required.
Bakersfield College Dual Enrollment
Mrs. Nelson’s Career Development Class offers the Dual Enrollment option that allows for Vista West students to receive college credit for Mrs. Nelson’s class. This is an amazing development and opportunity for our students, and has the potential to lead to more Dual Enrollment and Articulated classes being offered at Vista West!